- Product Form Upon Delivery: raw, whole or portioned depending upon order weight; and, if you order between 2-4 lbs, you will receive either one or two whole octopus.
- Size: Medium (2-4 lbs ea)
- Species: Enteroctopus dofleini
- Temperature History: FAS, IQF, once-frozen, thawed at 38 F at our facility at the Port of Seattle
- Taste: mild, sweet, ocean salt
- Texture: tender and slightly rubbery
- Origin: North Pacific
- Catch Method: pots, by-catch of the cod fishery
- Availability: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: Use bold flavors while searing, grilling, sautéing, poaching. Cook it either hot and fast, or slow with moisture.
- Pack Size: by the pound (we portion whole octopus to meet your order)
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/4 pound) Calories 260, Fat 4.5g, Cholesterol 250mg, Sodium 2000mg, Carbohydrates 1.6g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars .5g, Protein 52g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 0mg, Vitamin A 0mcg, Omega 3's < 30mg
The fishery for Pacific octopus is rated as "Best Choice" by the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch because only small volumes are harvested, and those volumes are harvested exclusively through by-catch in the cod and Dungeness crab fisheries. While cooking with octopus, remember that it will absorb whatever seasoning is applied very well. It's a good candidate for a long marinade and quick sear on the barbeque.