- Flavor Profile: delicate and complex, minerally, light brine finish
- Texture Profile: delicate, mushroom-like texture, meaty
- Shell Size: 2" to 3.5"
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Origin: Alaska, PNW, BC
- Catch Method: natural aquaculture
- Seasonality: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice- Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: sautéed, poached, steamed, smoked
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 390, Fat 8g, Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 645mg, Carbohydrates 8g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 35g, Calcium 68mg, Iron 9mg, Potassium 852mg, Vitamin A 125mg, Vitamin D 0mcg, Omega 3's 1mg
Storage and handling
- Store the mussels in the fridge between 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open the bag slightly so they can breath - they may arrive with a few small holes in the bag so they can breath during transit.
- Eat within 2 days
- These mussels are intended to stay alive until they are cooked
- Discard any mussels in which the shell is stuck open and not responsive to touch or heat - indicating that it is dead
- Discard any mussels that don't open after cooking
Mediterranean mussels are harvested globally in cooler waters; the Pacific Northwest, BC, Canada, and Southeast Alaskan are prime growing regions for this species and the mussels here are typically rope grown and hence free of sand and grit. The cold powerful tidal currents of the Puget Sound and the Straights of Georgia provide a bounty of nourishment for the Med mussels and it is noticed in its slightly briny flavor, ocean-fresh flavor, and plump form. Our facility is located in Seattle, WA which gives us the ability to buy locally; this makes it possible for us to ship out product that has come out of the water that same day.
*Mediterranean mussels are named after the Mediterranean region in which they are endemic.