- Flavor Profile: mild, sweet, fresh ocean flavor
- Texture Profile: firm, plump, meaty
- Shell Size: 2" to 3"
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Origin: SE Alaska, PNW
- Catch Method: natural aquaculture
- Seasonality: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: sautéed, poached, steamed, smoked
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 194, Fat 5g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 654mg, Carbohydrates 8g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 28g, Calcium 50mg, Iron 8mg, Potassium 653mg, Vitamin A 116mg, Vitamin D 0mcg, Omega 3's 1mg
Blue mussels are harvested globally in cooler waters; the Pacific Northwest, BC, Canada, and Southeast Alaskan are prime growing regions for this species and the mussels here are typically rope grown and hence free of sand and grit. The cold powerful tidal currents of the Puget Sound and the Straights of Georgia provide a bounty of nourishment for the Pacific Blue mussel and it is noticed in its slightly briny flavor, ocean-fresh flavor, and plump form. Our facility is located in Seattle, WA which gives us the ability to buy locally; this makes it possible for us to ship out product that has come out of the water that same day.
Storage and handling
- Store the mussels in the fridge between 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open the bag slightly so they can breath - they may arrive with a few small holes in the bag so they can breath during transit.
- Eat within 2 days
- These mussels are intended to stay alive until they are cooked
- Discard any mussels in which the shell is stuck open and not responsive to touch or heat - indicating that it is dead
- Discard any mussels that don't open after cooking